New to teaching accounting
Posted by Toby York. Last updated: November 28, 2022
AN ONLINE COURSE FOR NEW ACCOUNTING EDUCATORS
Open to new accounting teachers, and those considering a career move into education.
Our facilitators and speakers are knowledgeable accounting educators with experience as university teachers, researchers and heads of school.
Three 90-minute online sessions over consecutive weeks. Suitable for international and UK academics new to the university environment or simply looking to refresh their teaching and career develepment.
Venue: Accounting Cafe on Zoom
Dates and times: early 2023, dates to be confirmed
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
WEEK 1 INTRODUCTION
- Routes to academia: alternative career paths; what are university recruiters looking for?
- What to expect in university – a day in the life of an accounting academic.
- Who are my students? Specialist and non-specialist teaching; undergraduate, postgraduate and professional; students; classrooms and dissertations.
- What subjects will I teach and how is university teaching distinctive?
WEEK 2 CONTINUATION
- Build your network – approaches to networking and tips for successful networking.
- Attending and presenting at conferences.
- Teaching resources – where to find textbooks, cases, articles and classroom resources.
- Achieving balance: work smarter not harder.
WEEK 3 ACTION
How to design a module:
- Understanding how your module fits within your students’ programme.
- Writing or understanding learning outcomes.
- Deciding on the order of subjects.
- Selecting teaching strategies.
- Planning and writing assessments.